Thursday, June 07, 2007

Just one year ago

I remember it not so fondly. A horrible west coast road trip. 2-7 before salvaging a finale in Seattle. Spirits low. The Twins were 11.5 games back of the surprising Detroit Tigers. If you would have told me at that time, that the Twins would overcome that deficit and end up AL Central champs, just one game behind the best record in baseball, I would've doubted, and doubted hard.

On one hand, everything the Twins accomplished last year was amazing, and it gives me hope for this season. After all, they're in a better position this year, at .500 instead of 7 games under, and only 6.5 games out instead of 11.5.

On the other hand, that was last year. In no way can I expect the same to happen, nor should I. I fall in danger of being very disappointed. However, something that should be expected (at least) is that the Twins won't fall out of this race yet. The Twins have more than just last year working for them, they have a history of coming through in the later parts of the season to take over. After faltering late in 2001 and dominating in 2002, the Twins have remained patient, and have tended to get better as the season went on. So while winning 20 out of the next 22 seems unlikely this year, keeping up with the Indians will be no problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home