Wednesday, July 26, 2006

That's two!

Last night I’m leaving Chuck E Cheese at about 9:40, so I flip on 830 to see if I can catch the Twins game (I live in St. Louis, MO). Sure enough, it’s on, clear as crystal. I hear cheering in the background. John Gordon mentions something about the Twins wishing White were not in LF because if a ball is hit out there, his arm is likely not good enough to throw out a runner at home. (Okay, that means it’s close anyway, but what’s the score?)

Gordon comments that Nathan winds up for the pitch. (Okay, Nathan is in, it’s near the end of the game, and it’s close, but what’s the darn score?) Is it tied, are we in the lead, I don’t know! Someone help me!

A.J. is up. He hits a fly ball to left field… Cuddyer coming on… still coming on…he catches it! Gordon says there’s two outs. Tying run on second, winning run on first (YES we’re winning). We pull into Wal-Mart, my wife gets out and takes my son with her so that he can go potty (he’s 3). My daughter sees them leave and starts to cry (she’s 1). I’m focused solely on the game on the radio. “I’ll see you inside honey, I’ll only be a minute.”

Cintron is up. Gordon reminds us of Bartlett’s homer that put the Twins up 4-1. Crede hit a two-run shot in the bottom of the seventh to make it a one run game. Strike one. Daughter is still sad, but getting over it. Foul ball. 0-2. Wife is probably halfway through the store now. Ball one… way high. Mauer had to leap to get that one. I’m tapping the steering wheel in excitement and anticipation. Ball two in the dirt. Come on… just one more strike. Close it out Joe! Here’s the pitch. Ground ball to Bartlett, and this one is over!
YES! (maybe a little too loudly) My daughter and I head on in to meet mommy and brother, singing “We’re gonna win Twins” in the parking lot on the way in. Absolutely awesome. Twins win game, win series. One game out of wild card. 4-1 on road trip (so far). Again, absolutely awesome!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found the site via Seth Speaks...love to see a Twinkies fan in the Lou. I wish I could be there...if only for Ted Drewes.

cp

7/26/2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home